189_ Weems Steamboat Co of Baltimore City Stock Certificate. Large scripophily document with detailed side-wheel steamboat. Weems Steamboat Co was organized by Capt George Weems in the 1820s and operated on the Chesapeake Bay for nearly 90 years. His first steamboat, the "Surprise," ran between the Patuxent River and the Port of Baltimore, with several stops along the way including Annapolis. As Weems' business expanded, he acquired several large side-wheel steamers, including the "Wenonah" and the "St. Mary’s," expanding service to Washington, D.C. and Fredericksburg, Virginia. Weems was family owned, with stock not issued until 1892. Only 25 certificates were issued. Weems Steamboat was sold in 1905 to the Maryland, Delaware & Virginia RR Company, a subsidiary of the Pennsylvania Railroad. EF condition.