1870 Richmond Fredericksburg & Potomac RR Certificate of Debt (essentially a bond). The Richmond Fredericksburg & Potomac (RFP) was chartered in Virginia in 1834, with the state owning 40% of the company. Construction of the road from Richmond to Frederickburg was completed in 1837, and in 1852 the line was extended to the Potomic River at Aquia Creek. Steamboat transportation completed the link to Washington. During the Civil War, the Confederate Army utilized the RFP, which suffered severe damage from the Union Army. In 1864 the Alexandria & Fredericksburg RW was chartered to construct a line from Alexandria to the northern point of the RFP. In 1901 the two lines were merged into the Richmond-Washington holding company (owned by the PA RR, the B&O, the Atlantic Coast Line, the Southern, the Seaboard Airline, and the C&O), eventually becoming part of the the CSX. RFP certificates are very scarce. Certificate is in VF+ condition.