1882 Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs Co $500 Bond Certificate, signed by Henry M. Mathews (as president), governor of West Virginia from 1876 to 1881. The Greenbrier is a historic resort situated on 6,500 acres in the Allegheny Mountains in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia. The mineral water spring in the middle of the grounds has been the center of resort life since 1778. In the 19th century, wealthy Southern families summered at the Old White, as it was called, drinking the famed mineral waters reputed to cure all manner of ailments and ensure longevity. The hotel served as a Confederate military headquarters and hospital during the Civil War and was almost burned down on Union orders afterward. But it escaped that fate and benefited greatly through the turn of the century by a railroad built by its doorstep; the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad bought the resort for $150,000 in 1910, and the current structure was built shortly afterward. During World War II, it served as an army hospital. Subsequently, the US government built relocation bunkers (in case Washington DC was attacked) for the federal government. This secret was exposed in 1992. Today, the Greenbrier continues its tradition as a high-end resort with accommodations for 650 guests. This scripophily certificate is in VF condition.